The Museum exhibits about 225 carriages and horse-drawn vehicles, including sleighs, stagecoaches, and commercial wagons. Most date from the late 19th to early 20th centuries, and nearly every type of vehicle used in New England at that time is represented.
It was a 1946 gift of 28 elegant carriages from the estate of Dr. William Seward and Lila Vanderbilt Webb that prompted Electra Webb’s decision to create Shelburne Museum. The Webb vehicles exemplify the finest-quality luxury transportation from the 1890s, with carriages made by Brewster and Company of New York City and custom-made vehicles by Million et Guiet of Paris, France, including a rare 1890 Berlin Coach, with its gold satin-lined interior and exquisite brass, leather, and painted details.
Carriages and horse-drawn vehicles are exhibited in Horseshoe Barn and Annex.