Please note: The interior of Shaker Shed, which houses the Museum’s collection of historical tools, is temporarily closed to the public. The front exterior is open as an area for visitors to pause and rest while at the Museum.
Shaker Shed is so named because it was part of a Shaker community in Canterbury, New Hampshire. It was built in 1840 as a one-story horse and carriage stand, and it was enlarged twice: in 1850, to provide storage space above, and in 1853, to house farm machinery in the rear. Shaker Shed was moved to Shelburne Museum in 1951.