Hat and Fragrance Gallery
The name “Hat and Fragrance” refers to Electra Havemeyer Webb’s collection of rare hatboxes and the herbal sachets used to preserve early textiles. Today, the Hat and Fragrance Gallery houses Shelburne Museum’s internationally acclaimed collection of textiles.
The hand-hewn timber structure was built as a distillery in Shelburne around 1800 and later served as a barn. It was given to the Museum in 1947 and moved to its present site. Four one-story rooms were added to accommodate growing collections of hooked rugs, hatboxes, and costumes.