The one-room brick Blacksmith Shop was built about 1800 near the railroad in the Town of Shelburne, and a frame addition was built later. The structure was moved to the Museum in 1955. It exhibits 19th- and early 20th-century blacksmithing tools and is the site for daily demonstrations of this important trade as it was practiced in the early 20th century.
Early American communities depended heavily on the village blacksmith for tools, utensils, agricultural implements, architectural hardware, vehicle parts, and fitting shoes for horses and oxen. Museum visitors watch as blacksmiths operate the forge and reproduce metalwork artifacts.