Railroad Station and Freight Shed
Shelburne Museum’s Railroad Station is the original station for the town of Shelburne. Built in 1890 near the center of Shelburne, it served passengers of the Central Vermont and Rutland Railroads. Museum founder Electra Havemeyer Webb and her family members used the station on their many trips to and from New York. Six years after passenger service was discontinued in 1953, Webb moved the station to the Museum.
Exhibits at the Railroad Station today include a stationmaster’s office, waiting rooms for men and women, telegraphy systems, maps, and other late nineteenth- and early twentieth-century railroad memorabilia. A reproduction freight shed, built for the Museum in 1963, exhibits hand tools and equipment used by railroad workers and also includes handcarts, picks and shovels, and signal lanterns from railroad lines across the country.