Take a stroll across Shelburne Museum’s rare, two-lane Covered Bridge, which was built in 1845 to span the Lamoille River in Cambridge, Vermont. Be sure to look up and admire the bridge’s distinguishing arch truss, patented in 1804 by Vermont inventor Theodore Burr. The ingenious design allowed for a longer, stronger bridge than had ever been possible before.
The 168-foot bridge has two vehicle lanes and a footpath. The roof protects it from severe weather and adds structural stability, and the enclosed sides may have shielded farm animals from distracting views. The Covered Bridge was dismantled and moved in 1949 to the Museum, where it now spans a man-made pond.