The one-room Schoolhouse’s desks, maps, chalkboard featuring lesson plans, and children’s schoolwork re-create the environment of a 19th-century rural school.
The brick Schoolhouse was built about 1840 in Vergennes, Vermont. Its projecting bell tower, arched door opening, and sash windows reflect classical influences. When the structure was relocated to the Museum in 1947, the tin dome was replaced with copper and the surmounting acorn finial was repaired.
The adjacent Alyssia’s Garden offers a swing set, slide, and space for children to play.