Physical Accessibility Guide
Shelburne Museum exhibits over 150,000 works in a remarkable setting of 37 exhibition buildings, 25 of which are historic and were relocated to the museum grounds.
The information on this page can be downloaded as PDFs here:
General Accessibility Information
Terrain Details for Paths, Walkways, and Road Surfaces:
- Packed and loose gravel, slate, stone and brick
- Grade varies from easy to steep
Travel on the Grounds:
- Wheelchairs are available at the Museum store
- Children’s strollers and wagons are available at the Museum store
- Accessible shuttle completes a circuit around the grounds approximately every 15 minutes
- Distance from Admissions to the Meeting House is approximately ¼ mile. Seating is located throughout the grounds.
- All services at the Museum Store and Café are fully accessible.
- Additional accessible restrooms are located at Railroad Station and Stagecoach Inn.
- The Ticonderoga reading room includes an Access and Explore notebook containing images and descriptions of areas of the boat that are not accessible.
- Audio and/or video interpretive installations are located in exhibitions in Beach Gallery, the Ticonderoga, the Meeting House, and Variety Unit.
- Handheld “i-loview” video magnifiers may be checked out at the Museum Store. The devices magnify up to 32x while also adjusting for brightness and contrast, and are best for reading label text and signage. Generously donated by Ai Squared, a Vermont-based accessible technology company.
Each exhibit building is listed below, including detailed information on accessibility. Unless otherwise noted, all steps are 8” high or less, and all doorways are at least 32” wide.
|Apothecary Shop||Ramp on south side||None||Same as entrance|
|Beach Gallery||Level entrance||Some doorways are 30” wide||Level exit|
|Beach Lodge||Ramp on north side||2 interior steps to lower exhibit area||2 steps|
|Blacksmith Shop||Level entrance||Rough wood floor; 2 steps down into Wheelwright Shop||Same as entrance|
|Circus Building||Bermed entrance||Exhibit area slopes up to middle and then slopes back down||Bermed exit|
|Covered Bridge||Level entrance||Wood surface is rough and irregular||Same as entrance|
|Dorset House (closed for 2015)||Ramp, south side||Some doorways are 28” wide; 13 steps to second floor||Same as entrance|
|Dutton House||Ramp, west porch||Some doorways are 28” wide; 12 steps to second floor||Same as entrance|
|Electra Havemeyer Webb Memorial Building||Ramps, east and west sides||Some constricted viewing areas; 18 spiral steps to second floor; 15 spiral steps to bottom floor||Same as entrance|
|General Store||Ramp, south side||Some doorways are 25” wide; 14 steps to second floor||Same as entrance|
|Hat & Fragrance Textile Gallery||Ramp, south side center||None||Same as entrance|
|Horseshoe Barn||West entrance level||14 steps to second floor; 15 steps back to first floor||Same as entrance|
|Horseshoe Barn Annex||Ramp/berm on south side||None||Same as entrance|
|Jail||Ramp||Level slate/concrete floor||Same as entrance|
|Lighthouse||Ramp/bridge, south side||16 steps to second floor||Same as entrance|
|Meeting House||4 steps, with handrail||6 steps to main level||Same as entrance|
|Owl Cottage||Ramp, south side||None||Same as entrance|
|Pizzagalli Center for Art and Education||Level entrance||Elevator to lower level; wheelchair accessible bathroom||Same as entrance; elevator to lower level exit|
|Pleissner Gallery||Level entrance||None||Same as entrance|
|Prentis House (open for tours only)||Three 9” steps||12 steep steps to second floor||Same as entrance|
|Printing Shop||Ramp||None||Same as entrance|
|Rail Car Grand Isle||8 steps, 25” entrance door||Portions of corridor are 17”||8 steps, 25” exit|
|Railroad Freight Building||Ramp on south side||Narrow corridor near lantern collection||Same as entrance|
|Railroad Station||Ramp on east side||None||Same as entrance|
|Round Barn||Bermed entrances; 3 levels||None||Same as entrance|
|Sawmill||Ramp||Irregular floor||Same as entrance|
|Schoolhouse||4 steps, with handrail||None||Same as entrance|
|Settlers’ House||Bermed ramp, south side||Constricted viewing area||Same as entrance|
|Settlers’ Barn||Bermed entrance, south side||None||Same as entrance|
|Shaker Shed (closed for 2015)||12 steps, stair lift to 2nd floor (please ask for assistance)||5 interior steps to next level||Same as entrance|
|Stagecoach Inn||Bermed ramp on west side||15 steps to second floor||Same as entrance|
|Stencil House (open for tours only)||2 steps; 31” entrance door||Some doorways are 30” wide;12 steep steps to second floor||Same as entrance|
|Stone Cottage||3 steps||Constricted viewing area||Same as entrance|
|Ramps, east and west entrances||14 steps to second deck; 10 steps from second to top deck; four steps from top deck to pilot house; ten 10” steps down to engine room; narrow passages||Same as entrance|
|Toy Shop||Three 9” steps; 29” entrance door||Doorway is 23” wide, two interior steps||Three 9” steps|
|Variety Building||Three 9” steps; 29” entrance door||Some doorways are 25” wide; one step between some rooms; 15 steps to second floor||Four 9” steps|
|Vermont House Gallery||Stone berm||Some doorways are 27” wide||Same as entrance|
|Weaving Shop||Level entrance||Brick floor||Same as entrance|
|Webb Gallery||Bermed ramp, front (west) entrance||13 steps to lower level; some doorways are 25” wide||Same as entrance|