Shelburne’s rare surviving two-lane Covered Bridge was built in 1845 to span the Lamoille River in Cambridge, Vermont. The bridge’s distinguishing arch truss, which permitted longer spans, was patented in 1804 by Vermont inventor Theodore Burr.
The 168-foot bridge has two vehicle lanes and a footpath. The roof protects it from severe weather and adds structural stability, and the enclosed sides shielded farm animals from distracting views.
The Covered Bridge was dismantled and moved in 1949 to the Museum, where a pond underneath evokes its original setting.