Nov 2Afternoon Reading & Q&A with author Rachel Urquhart
Nov 8Webby's Art Studio: On the Wall
Nov 15SMArt: Flicks—“A Christmas Story”
- Full events calendar >
Prentis House is named for Katharine Prentis Murphy, an influential collector of antiques who donated many of the high-style 17th- and 18th-century furnishings on display in the house. The installation is one of the few surviving examples of the Colonial Revival aesthetic that was so prevalent in museum period rooms in the first half of the 20th century.
Prentis House is a saltbox built in Hadley, Massachusetts in 1773 and moved to the Museum in 1955. Its massive central chimney has seven flues that meet on the second floor in a huge beehive-shaped form.
The house features William and Mary furniture, English delftware, stumpwork embroideries, and crewel bedhangings.