The Meeting House portrays an early American community space and serves as a site for performances, weddings, and meetings.
It was built in 1840 in Charlotte, Vermont by a Methodist congregation and serves as a reminder that churches were essential gathering places. The building’s triangular pediment is distinctive of the Greek Revival style, and the lack of other adornment is typical of New England protestant architecture. Notable interior features include tromp l’oeil wall paintings and an operating organ.
The Meeting House became home for an amateur theatrical group in 1899 and then a library in 1902. After a heavy windstorm damaged the building, it was moved to the Museum in 1952 for preservation.