Dutton House portrays the home of an 1820s New England entrepreneur and his family. The house was built by Salmon Dutton in Cavendish, Vermont in 1782 and served as both as family residence and as headquarters for commercial activities (including a tavern, inn, and office space for other enterprises).
The core of Dutton House is a saltbox, but Dutton’s descendants added wings that make the house a classic example of continuous architecture.
Dutton House was moved to the Museum in 1950 when a road-widening project threatened the structure. It was the first dwelling relocated to the grounds. Outside is the Polly Cropper Mallory Heritage Garden, planted with early 19th-century varieties of vegetables and perennials.