Dorset House is closed for the season while Conservation and Curatorial staff evaluate the gallery and decoy installations.
Shelburne’s world-renowned wildfowl decoys are housed in Dorset House. The house was built about 1832 in East Dorset, Vermont and is an excellent example of Greek Revival architecture, popular in 19th-century America.
Dorset House’s 2½-story front-gable main block is flanked by cross-gable wings that give the building classical balance and symmetry. The façade is dominated by a massive cornice, and marble slabs are used as a veneer for the foundation and porches.
The house was dismantled and moved to the Museum in 1953 to serve as exhibit space for the decoy collection.