General Store and Apothecary Shop
The General Store exhibits a full spectrum of late 19th-century essentials. Adjoining rooms include a post office, barber shop, and tap room, reminiscent of the period when general stores served as community centers. The second floor exhibits medical equipment, tools, and furnishings spanning the early 20th century.
The General Store was built as the Town of Shelburne post office in 1840. Its Greek Revival front-gable orientation is emphasized by a multi-paned triangular window above the second story. The building was moved intact to the Museum in 1952.
The adjacent Apothecary Shop was added in 1959. Display shelves, a pill press, and other professional tools re-create a late 19th-century druggist’s shop, while the main room displays herbal remedies of an earlier period. The compounding room has a brick hearth, copper distilleries, and percolators.